Attorneys Victor Demesmin Jr. and Jeremy Dover practice Personal Injury Protection, otherwise known as PIP law. PIP is a mandatory requirement on every policy for every Florida Policy. It provides $10,000.00 in Medical Benefits to the named insured after an accident, REGARDLESS OF FAULT. What this then means is, the first $10,000.00 of Medical Benefits that a person is eligible to receive after an accident comes from their OWN insurance company, even if the other person was at fault, and if you were at fault, you still have $10,000.00 in benefits from your OWN insurance company as well. These PIP benefits have been mandated in Florida Law for over 40 years. These benefits are there to insure that persons who are injured can obtain insurance coverage for their injuries regardless of fault and/or whether there is further insurance coverage available.
Requirements For PIP Benefits
There are several requirements and rules to ensure that you get the full PIP benefits under your policy of insurance.
- First, you must seek treatment within 14 days of the accident, otherwise known as the date of loss (this means you must actually see a Medical Doctor, Chiropractor, Therapist, or equivalent Medical Professional to ensure you obtain these benefits).
- Second, you must properly execute an Application for PIP (No-Fault Benefits).
- Third, to ensure you receive the full $10,000.00 in benefits, a Medical Doctor, Physician Assistant, Nurse Practitioner, or equivalent Medial Professional must determine that you have an “Emergency Medical Condition,” which is a ” a medical condition manifesting itself by acute symptoms of sufficient severity, which may include severe pain, such that the absence of immediate medical attention could reasonably be expected to result in any of the following:
- (a) Serious jeopardy to patient health.
- (b) Serious impairment to bodily functions.
- (c) Serious dysfunction of any bodily organ or part.”
See Fla. Stat. 627.732
Without this determination, an insurance company may cap your benefits at $2,500.00 instead of $10,000.00, leaving you with a higher bill in the long run.
How Demesmin And Dover Can Help With Your PIP Case
Demesmin and Dover specialize in litigating that these PIP benefits get paid on your behalf to the medical providers who provide you treatment to ensure that you do not have to come ‘out-of-pocket’ any more than you need to. We have litigated issues revolving around this type of benefits throughout the entire State of Florida including Fort Lauderdale, Miami, West Palm Beach, Tampa, Orlando, and more. If you are a person who had your benefits denied or if you are medical provider having trouble securing payment for these benefits or is dealing with other PIP issues, contact us today because We Care More.