Florida Car Insurance

View from a driver's perspective with hands on driving wheel

Florida Car Insurance Is No-Fault. But What Does That Mean?

Attorneys Jeremy Dover and Victor Demesmin Jr. break down what this all means below. A “No-Fault State” means that Florida has different requirements for all insurance companies and for all people that are insured in the State of Florida. According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicle (FDHSMV), the Mandatory Minimum Coverages that people are required to maintain in the State of Florida include the requirements below.

Mandatory Minimum Insurance Coverage:

Any vehicle with a current Florida registration must:

  • be insured with PIP and PDL insurance at the time of vehicle registration.
  • have a minimum of $10,000 in PIP AND a minimum of $10,000 in PDL. Vehicles registered as taxis must carry bodily injury liability (BIL) coverage of $125,000 per person, $250,000 per occurrence and $50,000 for (PDL) coverage.
  • have continuous coverage even if the vehicle is not being driven or is inoperable. Surrender the license plate/tag BEFORE cancelling your insurance.
  • purchase the policy from an insurance carrier licensed to do business in Florida. (If you are new to the state, you may ask your agent to transfer your current insurance to a Florida policy.)
  • maintain Florida insurance coverage continuously throughout the registration period regardless of the vehicle’s location. (Military members stationed out-of-state/country may be exempt. Visit our military page for more information.)

Insurance Requirements For Non-Residents in Florida

The vehicle you own must have a Florida registration and license plate and be insured with a Florida policy when a non-resident:

  • accepts employment or engages in a trade, profession or occupation in Florida; or
  • enrolls children to be educated in a Florida public school.
  • You must obtain the registration certificate and license plate within 10 days after beginning employment or enrollment. You must also have a Florida certificate of title for your vehicle unless an out-of-state lien holder/lessor holds the title and will not release it to Florida.